Joschua Schilling, M. Sc.
I studied computer science and hold a M.Sc. from FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg. Currently, I am a PhD candidate in Tilo‘s system security and software protection group.
My main research interests include, but are not limited to Software & System Security. Currently, I am especially interested in vulnerability research, static, dynamic and hybrid source code and binary analysis.
Open Theses (Bachelor / Master) and Projects
If you are enrolled as a computer science student at FAU, I can directly supervise your thesis. I can also supervise your Master Project as part of the IT-Security Projekt. Currently, I do not have any open topics listed. However, I encourage you to check out the list of open i1 topics, which can be found here. If you are interested in my field of research or already have an idea, just drop me an email (Joschua.Schilling@fau.de) and we can talk about it. Feel free to contact me in German or English.
- Tag der Informatiklehrerinnen und -lehrer 2022, LMU München Live Hacking: Von der Forschung zur Lehre, Speaker alongside Jonas Röckl
- 19th International Conference on Detection of Intrusions and Malware, and Vulnerability Assessment (DIMVA 2022), Cagliari, Italy, Speaker
- Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften 2022, Live Hacking Demonstration, Speaker alongside Davide Bove and Jonas Röckl
- Course: Hackerpraktikum [WiSe 21/22], with Davide Bove, Tobias Groß, Philipp Klein, Ralph Palutke, and Jonas Röckl
- Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften 2019, Live Hacking Demonstration, Speaker alongside Tilo Müller, Davide Bove, Marcel Busch, Tobias Groß, and Anatoli Kalysch
Supervised Student Theses
- Static Binary Memory Sanitizer (Work in Progress)
- Static Binary Thread Sanitizer (SS22)
Supervised Student Projects and Seminar Papers
- Directed Binary Fuzzing with Static Code Instrumentation (Project, Work in Progress)
- Static Binary Undefined Behavior Sanitizer (Project, WS21/22)
- Compiler Security Hardening for C (Seminar Paper, WS21/22)
- Misusing Sensors: Smartphone-based Side Channel Attacks (Seminar Paper, WS21/22)
- Joschua Schilling, and Tilo Müller. VANDALIR: Vulnerability Analyses Based on Datalog and LLVM-IR. Detection of Intrusions and Malware, and Vulnerability Assessment: 19th International Conference, DIMVA 2022, Cagliari, Italy, June 29–July 1, 2022, Proceedings. 2022.
- Anatoli Kalysch, Joschua Schilling, & Tilo Müller. (2020). On the Evolution of Security Issues in Android App Versions. In Jianying Zhou, Mauro Conti, Chuadhry Mujeeb Ahmed, Man Ho Au, Lejla Batina, Zhou Li, Jingqiang Lin, Eleonora Losiouk, Bo Luo, Suryadipta Majumdar, Weizhi Meng, Martín Ochoa, Stjepan Picek, Georgios Portokalidis, Cong Wang, Kehuan Zhang (Eds.), ACNS: International Conference on Applied Cryptography and Network Security. (pp. 523 – 541). Cham, Switzerland: Springer Nature Switzerland AG.
- Zinaida Benenson, Frederik Berger, Anatoliy Cherepantsev, Sergey Datsevich, Long Do, Moritz Eckert, Tassilo Elsberger,
Felix Freiling, Marius Frinken, Hendrik Glameyer, Steffen Hafner, Svenja Hagenhoff, Andreas Hammer, Stefan Hammerl,
Florian Hantke, Felix Heindorf, Marcel Henninger, Daniel Höfer, Phillip Kuhrt, Maximilian Lattka, Tobias Leis, Christian
Leubner, Katharina Leyrer, Christian Lindenmeier, Katharina Del Medico, Denise Moussa, Michael Nissen, Alina Öz,
Jenny Ottmann, Katharina Reif, Nora Ripley, Armin Roth, Joschua Schilling, Robert Schleicher, David Schulz, Milan
Stephan, Christoph Volkert, Max Wehner, Matthias Wild, Johannes Wirth, Julian Wolf, Julia Wunder, Jovana Zlatanovic. (2019). Analyse verbreiteter Anwendungen zum Lesen von elektronischen Büchern. Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Dept. of Computer Science, Technical Reports, CS-2019-06.